01 May 2009

Spring Break '09 - Stop #1 - ROME, ITALY - "'ROME-ing' Around Rome!!!"

ROME, ITALY

SATURDAY, APRIL 11, 2009

We landed in Rome on April, 11th and had another ‘interesting’ little story because we forgot to call in advance that we wanted airport pick up. Woops… (But I had emailed them two days before…) Anyway, we found the meeting point and the girl waiting there asked “Are you here for the campground?” I all I was thinking was “OMG, what did I sign us up for?!?!?!” We said yeah and then she said “Oh well you must be Laura(?)” Well last time I check I wasn’t and I told her my name was Britney and then she said “oh well we don’t have you on the list…” She asked if we had called ahead to say we needed airport transportation and I said no but that I had emailed and then I asked if there would be any room on the next shuttle, she said that yeah there should be. So that was good! There was plenty of room! We were the only two on the shuttle bus!
Our Campground... Hostel!

We arrived at the hostel at about 11:30 and once we checked in and got to our room – not in a tent – I was ready to take a nap. Sarah and I went for a walk around the “campground” and found their grocery store. There wasn’t much there besides cookies, crackers, chips, any other type of junk food you could think of, weird looking meat, and tomato and mozzarella sandwiches (which were disgusting). We both got the sandwiches because it actually sounded pretty good but let me tell you it wasn’t… I have learned to deal with tomatoes while I have been here so I thought it would be okay. But it was like mush smashed between two pieces of mushy bread. However, the liter bottle of water that we got tasted amazing. I think flying dehydrates me for some reason because I have noticed that I am always very thirsty after I fly. I think I drank have of the liter and then probably could have drank more but I didn’t want to get sick.

After eating we headed to the bus stop and waited for the FREE transportation to the metro (The one thing that was FREE on this trip!!!) While we were waiting we tried to figure out where we were going to go first. We decided our first tourist attraction would be the Colosso (French for Colosseum). A van pulled up and then just shut off. I thought it was the shuttle but apparently not – The driver got out and went to the vehicle behind him. I tried to ask him if he was going to the metro because another guy got in the van with him but he just drove off. I was like “Ok, I guess not.” Sarah and I just went and sat right back down on the bench to wait for the free shuttle – hoping that it would actually come.

Finally the bus came and our metro adventures had started! We had no idea what we were doing and finally after staring at the map on the wall for a bit, we asked the guy working and he was actually really helpful! He gave us a map to take with us and circled each stop we had to get off at.

Sarah and I trying to figure out the metro system!
It's okay everyone, I figured it out!!!
We got off at the Colosso stop and right when we got to the top of the stairs that led outside – there it was. The Colosseum was right in front of me! It was amazing to see in person – I have seen thousands of pictures of it before and it is so much more extravagant than I had expected!
The Colosseum
Me in front of the COLOSSEUM!
We walked across the road to take pictures of ourselves with it and then we saw these two ‘gladiators’ (who we later named gypsies). We asked to take pictures with them and they were so willing! They even gave us a gold leaf crown to wear – how epic huh? - well guess again… After they took the picture, they were like ok, we charge 5 euro per person. “WHAT?” Not even a full day in Rome and we had been gypsied. ;( I was like well we don’t have that much, sorry. All we had was change and he said oh well that will be fine… It ended up being 5 euro in change anyway but still.

So Lesson 1 – don’t ever take a picture with someone before asking how much it will cost you when you are done.

My Gypsy Gladiators!

We walked around the rest of the area and saw the Roman Forum, the Arch of Constantine, and Il Vittoriano.

The Arch of Constantine

Il Vittoriano was an amazing building. Everything on it symbolizes a different part of Italy. It was so cool because we climbed to the top of it and you could see the entire city of Rome – including the Vatican, and Colosseum.

Il Vittoriano

View from the top of Il Vittoriano

We ‘Rome-ed’ around Rome for the rest of the afternoon and looked for a grocery store to buy stuff to make food for the four days we were going to be there. However, these apparently do not exist in Rome because we could not find one and anyone we asked didn’t know where we could find one.

Pictures of the Colosseum - all done with a few cans of spray paint!

Then we started back for our hostel but our metro ride home wasn’t as successful as the ride to the center. First, we got on the metro going the opposite way of where we needed to go and we got off at the next stop and tried to find a way to get to the other side of the tracks. We exited the metro and walked up some stairs that led in the direction where the opposite metro entrance should be. It was there and we went back in… But guess what metro tickets in Rome are not the same as bus tickets in Thessaloniki. You cannot reuse them for a certain amount of time (you can use bus tickets in Thessaloniki for 70 minutes before you need to buy another one). So we had to buy another ticket – they were only 1 euro but still. I was getting thirsty again and we found a vending machine inside and I got what I thought was water (it was carbonated water – or as they call it water with gas). It was so gross – I didn’t drink hardly any of it because it just made me thirstier.

As we sat waiting for the next metro to come, we got a little confused again as to which direction we actually needed to be going. So we let 2 metros go by before realizing that they all go one way on each side of the track (DUH!) So we hopped on and finally made it back to the hostel.

We went to the restaurant at the hostel because the grocery store wasn’t open at the campground and we really didn’t want mozzarella and tomato mush again. I was surprised it wasn’t that expensive. We got a pizza and it was only 5 euro (about $7-$8 USD). After dinner, we felt we owed it to ourselves to have a drink at the bar! After all we are legal in Europe. I had a Bacardi Breezer and I couldn’t finish it because I was ready to fall asleep. We went back to our rooms and were sleeping by 10pm. I was out as soon as my head hit the pillow. I didn’t even hear the girl we were sharing a room with come in when she did.

I was really nervous to stay in a room with other people on this trip. I did not want to leave my stuff in the room because I didn’t want it to be take . But it was all ok for the day – we locked it up in our suitcases.

SUNDAY, APRIL 12, 2009

This morning was a little awkward because our ‘roommate’ was in the room. The three of us really didn’t say anything to each other, we all just kind of started to get ready. I broke the ice and asked how long she had been here and if she was on spring break. She was and she studied in Denmark for the semester! Her name was Ashley and she lived in North Carolina – and she didn’t know when she was leaving Rome to go on the rest of her journey throughout Europe for her break!?!? She seemed really nice and pretty trusting! So that was a bit more comforting to leave our stuff in the room!

So it was my turn to get into the shoilet (Shower + Toilet with no separation… they are in the same little area – it was fantastic – a little weird). I looked down at the floor and all of the soap was leaking through the door. I just got thinking – there really was only one place for it to go… YEP – it did it leaked onto the floor of the hostel. Fantastic – I flooded our hostel floor as well as almost the Frankfurt, Germany airport!!! HAHAHA. You would think they would have a drain bigger than the bottom of a coffee cup… It was a good thing that I was the last one to shower because we had to use all of our towels to whip up the floor. When the housekeeping ladies came, we asked for new towels and all was got as a response was: “I don’t understand… I don’t speak English very well.” We just had to go to the reception desk.

We finished getting ready and headed out to catch the free shuttle. We had mastered the metro and made it to the center with no problems!!! We ventured off to find the market but after walking around the area where it was supposed to be for an hour… we still hadn’t found it. We asked someone for help had he told us where we had to go. We found it but it was exactly like the market in Thessaloniki. Everything was the same and all of the products consisted of knock-off purses, clothes, jewelry, watches, sunglasses, wallets, fabrics, and the most random things you could think of. We didn’t buy anything except for a package of Kleenexes… I had contracted some cold two days before we left so I wasn’t fully cleared up yet!

We left that market to find the food market… but apparently we were a bit too late because when we got there, there was only one vender left and he was selling Aloe Vera – Not exactly the food I was looking for! So we just kept walking around and found a statue to sit on to figure out where we needed to go to find the Trevi Fountain, Parliament, and the Spanish Steps. We ,well actually my personal GPS, Sarah Frost, was looking for a particular street on the map. I was looking around to see what was going on and “watching for potential ‘gypsies’ that might get a little too close to us.” Once I looked up, I saw a kid that looked like Bobby Hamill (a kid from UWEC that studies in Spain this semester). It was so random but nice to see someone we knew that spoke perfect English!

Sarah Frost, Me and Bobby Hamill

We talked with him for a while and then started to walk toward the Trevi fountain. It was huge – we took pictures and threw our coins into the fountain (symbolizing that we would return someday). The we started to look for the Spanish Steps and I think every tourist and their fan club was there – you couldn’t see the actual steps.

TREVI Fountain

Sarah and I in front of Trevi Fountain

The Spanish Steps - I swear they are under all of those people!

View we had from the top after climbing the Spanish Steps! The Vatican is in the background - it is kind of small and cloudy but it is there!

We found Parliament and then looked for something to eat because we were both pretty hungry – after all our ‘planned’ lunch at the food market was canceled due to late arrival. We found this Italian restaurant and we both had lasagna – It tasted amazing!

On our way back to the metro a gypsy came up to us and gave Sarah and I each a rose and told us how lovely we both were. He asked if we wanted our picture taken and we said sure. He took the camera and he kept backing further and further away because he said he couldn’t see us on the screen (it was zoomed in all the way). All I could think of was he is going to run away with my camera and then Sarah and I are going to have to chase him down. He didn’t and once he gave it back we started looking so see where the best way was to get to the metro. He started walking away but then turned around and was like “ Oh come on, you have something for me. You have something to help me out.” I tried to just give the rose back but he really didn’t want it back… I really didn’t want to pay for it. We told him we had no money and he was like “No, 1 US dollar. One USD.” I don’t think he realized that a U.S. dollar is not worth hardly anything but oh well. I wish I had a dollar to give him because it would only be about 65 lepta (65 euro cents). He would not go away so Sarah and I scrounged up 1 euro and told him that was all we had. The he said “ok 1 rose for 1 euro.” I think he thought we would just give him another euro but we both stuck our roses out back at him to take back I think he was a little shocked because he just took one of them and walked away! FINALLY!

Sarah and I with our Gypsy roses!

We headed back to the hostel with no problems and had to wait for about 10 minutes. I was so overtired and had to pee so mad – I sat with my legs crossed and just about (nope I actually was…) crying because I was laughing so hard. Not a good combination… laughing and having to pee!

Waiting for the free shuttle... laughing and having to pee really bad = not a good combination!

Once we got back to the hostel, we went for some ice cream at the bar. I ended up getting cough drops as well and all I had to pay with was a 50 euro bill. I had just gone to the ATM and that is apparently all they have to hand out at the ATMs in Europe. The total was only 3.10 euro and when I handed her ethe 50 she looked at it and then back at me like it had something wrong with it. She asked me if I had a 10 euro bill or smaller. I said I didn’t and she looked at me as if I was crazy to think that she would take a 50 euro bill from a customer. People are so weird about giving change here and I swear no none ever has change to give – but all the ATMs give out are 50s.

We got back to our rooms and went to bed early again (like 10pm). Again, I was out like a light once my head hit the pillow.

MONDAY, APRIL 13, 2009

Sarah and I went to the beach today to catch some rays! Our day at the beach was quite a success! Well once we got to the beach – All of the ‘entrances’ we found were gates that were locked or paths that led to a restaurant. It like the whole thing was a private beach. We finally found an entrance (right through a restaurant). We decided to give it a try, I mean what is the worst that could happen??? We get yelled at in Italian – Oh well!!!

We made it through without any troubles and found a couple of logs to sit on and eat all of our food we got at the supermarket! After stuffing our faces we laid out in the sun (well actually sat on the log curled up in our towels because the sun was hiding behind every cloud in the sky). The sun finally came back out and it was so nice!

We spelled out ROMA with rocks, seashells, and a piece of something that resembled a dried up cornstalk (however, they don't grow very well in the sand so I don't relaly know what it was)!

Watching surfers and waiting for the sun to come out!

Just hanging out on the beach. Trying to stay warm with our jackets on!

We experienced a little Italian night life tonight and went out to a club – where we randomly met two girls from school in Greece!! It was so much fun!

Sarah and I at the club!

Once we made it back to the hostel, we were walking on the road to our room and I seriously found 5 euro! No JOKE! It was a decent ending to the night!

TUESDAY, APRIL 14, 2009

Sarah and I went to the Vatican City today. I saw St. Peter’s Square, St. Peter’s Basilica, the Vatican museum and the Sistine Chapel. I cannot believe I actually got to see these amazing buildings and parts of Rome. Everything was so beautiful and words or pictures do not do it one bit of justice. It was so cool to see the School of Athens (a painting I studied in Art class), The Last Judgment (another piece of artwork we studied and probably the most famous part of the Sistine Chapel).

The Vatican City

Me in front of St. Peter's Basillica

Sarah and I with the Vatican City in the background!

Chairs are still set up from Easter Sunday!

The inside of St. Peter's Basillica

Mass was going on when we went inside.

ALL IN ALL, ROME WAS FANTASTIC AND I CAN NOT WAIT FOR THE REST OF MY EUROPE TRAVEL TO START TOMORROW! We head off to Barcelona!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment