23 February 2009

Apókria 2009! (19February2009)

Carnaval is a three-week period before the beginning of Lent. the carnivals are Christian pre-Lenten celebrations. There are costumes, lots of food, dancing and "general merrymaking" (came off of a flyer we got).

Carneval is a three-week period before Ash Monday when it is the custom to masquerade. Literally “Apokria” means to say goodbye to the period of meat-eating.

The carnival festivities start each year on the 17th of January and end on the last Sunday of Carnival with the burning at the stake of the King of Carnival and a big parade of floats and costumed groups.
We went to ΜΙΛΟΣ (Milos) to celebrate where they featured Brazilian dancers, a street party, fireshow, as well as Latin & Samba dancing. There was ice skating and many different bars to enjoy the entertainment!

These are just a few of the pictures we took!

So I actually didn't take this picture but it was one of the flyers advertising ΜΙΛΟΣ!


Me and my Mask and a little bit of photoshop!

Sarah and I with our Masks with the sweet lights in the background!






So everytime Dewey tried to take a picture of me... the wind would pick up and blow my mask off my face. This was the best picture we could get!



At the ice skating rink, they had a penguin for the kids to use to help them keep their balance! I thought I would try it out! I look like I am ready for a down hill race or something!

1 comment:

  1. Get off that penguin your a LITTLE to BIG for that Geez. What a schumk!!! HAHA

    LOVE YA

    ReplyDelete